1. We commit ourselves to proclaiming our firm conviction that
violence and terrorism are incompatible with the authentic spirit of religion, and, as we condemn every recourse to violence
and war in the name of God or of religion, we commit ourselves to doing everything possible to eliminate the root causes of
2. We commit ourselves to educating people to mutual respect and esteem, in order to help bring about a
peaceful and fraternal coexistence between people of different ethnic groups, cultures, and religions.
3. We commit
ourselves to fostering the culture of dialogue, so that there will be an increase of understanding and mutual trust between
individuals and among peoples, for these are the premise of authentic peace.
4. We commit ourselves to defending the
right of everyone to live a decent life in accordance with their own cultural identity, and to form freely a family of their
5. We commit ourselves to frank and patient dialogue, refusing to consider our differences as an insurmountable
barrier, but recognizing instead that to encounter the diversity of others can become an opportunity for greater reciprocal
6. We commit ourselves to forgiving one another for past and present errors and prejudices, and to supporting
one another in a common effort both to overcome selfishness and arrogance, hatred and violence, and to learn from the past
that peace without justice is no true peace.
7. We commit ourselves to taking the side of the poor and the helpless,
to speaking out for those who have no voice, and to working effectively to change these situtations, out of the conviction
that no one can be happy alone.
8. We commit ourselves to taking up the cry of those who refuse to be resigned to violence
and evil, and we desire to make every effort possible to offer the men and women of our time real hope for justice and peace.
We commit ourselves to encouraging all efforts to promote friendship between peoples, for we are convinced that, in the absence
of solidarity and understanding between peoples, technological progress exposes the world to a growing risk of destruction
10. We commit ourselves to urging leaders of nations to make every effort to create and consolidate, on
the national and international levels, a world of solidarity and peace based on justice.